We’ve been married for a month and a half and one of the biggest surprises being married has been how quickly the time we have together passes by. I always look forward to spending the evening doing projects and cooking dinner, but before you know it, it’s 10 and time for bed. We’re trying to settle in to our apartment slowly but surely and still have quite a bit of work to do.
After we returned from our honeymoon in San Francisco, Phillip immediately began working on installing our floors. Living on concrete was just not my thing. Once the dance floor at our reception in the shop, this beautiful laminate is now our kitchen floor. Phillip first put down the underlayment (the red stuff), which is pretty expensive stuff, and piece by piece put the floor together like a puzzle. I found out later that cardboard can be used as underlayment and it’s what most housing developments use!
After the kitchen floor was done, we began playing Tetris with our kitchen cabinets and decorating. A friend of mine recently inspired me to put up a rack for pots and pans. It’s something I’ve always admired in magazines and blogs, but those were designer kitchens with islands and high ceilings. Unfortunately, our ceilings are low on the bottom story so I didn’t think it was possible. Then it dawned on me to put up a coat rack, since we have a few laying around in the Shop. We slipped a few pots and pans on it and bingo, a wall rack for our pots and pans. A good solution to free up space!
To save even more space, we put up a wine glass rack that we got as a wedding gift from Bed Bath and Beyond. It’s perfect above the sink because A) there was space for it and B) you can wash and hang the glasses to drip dry. It works great and looks good, saving us a whole shelf or more in our cabinets! See that 3 drawer bread box thing? That was yet another treasure found in the Shop during clean up! It’s got a space for bread, potatoes and onions. I love it. Since we plan on having a big garden, this will come in handy. I think it would be rather easy to build something similar with shelves or cubbyholes for storing veggies and bread. Project idea?
I spotted this copper rack at a local antique consignment shop for only $125. I can’t use it because my ceilings are too low, but it was a beauty. Just had to share… This is the ultimate rack.
Many of the cards we received from our wedding were hand made or very creative, so we wanted to show them off a bit. I strung them up in our dining room. Not sure when I’ll take them down. For now, it works well in place of actual art.
Remember one of Phillip and I’s first projects, the cork board? I’d collected corks over a long period of time working as a cocktail waitress during my undergrad and acquired an old, glassless, gold frame from a friend. We painted it with crackle medium from JoAnn’s and white paint. Phillip’s sister used it to display pictures at her wedding reception and so did we. Now it’s in our hallway.
We also got started on our patio. Rather than pay top dollar for pavers or a wood deck, we used a stack of broken concrete that Phillip’s dad had been storing. It’s usually pretty easy to come by, because people are always demolishing concrete. Not only is it super cheap, but it’s also a good way to reuse material that would typically end up going to waste.
This is my official before picture. Notice the dirt and aimless plants.
We put pavers around the perimeter and then filled the center with sand so we could adjust the height of the concrete pieces. We used a level to make sure they were all on the same plane and pitch (sloping down away from the front door a hair). Then we pour concrete and smoothed it out a bit, giving it a quick brush with an old broom to give it the classic broom finish.
We also added some broken tile pieces (lovely landfill that’s spread all over the place out here).
We also had some help. :)
My brother threw together a planter box for me in like 5 minutes. He used the chop saw to cut the ends and just nailed these 1.5″ x 11″ boards together. I desperately needed a place to plant some of the plants from the reception, because they weren’t doing so hot stuck in their plastic pots.
We are still working on getting the patio finished and the plants planted. It turned out to be a little time consuming to make sure all the pieces were level and to spread the concrete, but two weeks (really only about 3-4 days of actually working on it here and there) is not too bad. I’ll give an update as soon as we are done.