As promised here the recipe for a delicious little addition to your coffee or Hot Cocoa. This is the recipe we used to make the Kahlua we will be serving at the coffee and hot chocolate table.
-for gallon batch
- 2-3 pots decaf coffee
- 800mL of Vodka
- 400 mL of Brandy
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 tsp salt
- more sugar to taste
- Brew the coffee very strong. You can use your automatic coffee maker, pour over setup, espresso cafetera, or french press.
- Reduce the coffee by half approximately by letting it evaporate. This can be done by leaving it on the hotplate or by placing it on the stove in a large pot. Be very careful not to let the pot boil or even approach a simmer. You don’t want burnt coffee. Notice how much coffee you start with. You should see steam coming off and after keeping an eye on it for a while you will notice it is indeed evaporating off water and leaving you a stronger coffee liquid.
- Add the sugar, salt, and vanilla bean. Slit the vanilla bean open before tossing it in.
- Allow to cool and funnel into a glass bottle. The glass bottle should not have too much extra space in it. Top it off with coffee if needed but do leave some room to add more sugar later.
- Add the vodka and brandy
- Cap the bottle, shake. Shake vigorously every week.
- Allow to sit 2-3 months.
- Taste and add sugar if necessary.
Disclaimer: This is our first Kahlua recipe, adjust liberally to taste.